Tuesday, September 30, 2008

An Answer to Prayer?

For the last couple of weeks, we have had family councils, family prayer, FHE, and even a family fast to help us bring more love and unity into our home. Well, to make a long story short, the answer to our prayers came last Thursday when our dishwasher "died."

After spending 3 full hours washing dishes by hand on Friday, I told Steve we needed a new dishwasher now! Then I remembered what my mom would say when our dishwasher broke at home. . ."Why do we need a new dishwasher? I have 7 of them that work perfectly fine."

So, not wanting to spend another afternoon washing dishes by hand, in my most excited voice over the weekend, I asked, "Who would like to help me wash the dishes?" Ben and Rachel immediately and enthusiastically replied, "ME!" I couldn't believe it!
They took turns hand washing and drying the dishes, while joking and laughing as they did it. (These are "real" smiles on their faces! They were having a blast! If only I could get them to do all of their chores this joyfully!)The rest of the weekend they spent playing together. What an ironic answer to prayer. Our kids have really cooperated all week as they've washed dishes together. (But "me" of little faith, ordered a new dishwasher, anyway.)

9 comments:

Halls Family said...

Oh the memories of childhood. I hand wash plenty of my own dishes as a mom, but it was complete torture as a child. Come to think of it, did our dishasher EVER work? Looking back on it, I can't imagine how many hours mom spent doing dishes while we were at school. What a busy lady! I'm glad your prayers were answered and you have some extra smiles in your house. We miss you!

Shannon said...

That picture of Ben got a chuckle out of me. :) When I was still at home, the dishwasher broke as soon as Natalie left home (possibly even sooner) and it wasn't ever fixed. Once again, the youngest always has the most work to do :)

Kristy said...

Now, now, Shannon! I really have to disagree with you on that one! (Don't get me started today!) Oh the memories of Sunday pots and pans. I think that's why I never cook big meals on Sunday! I'll never understand how Mom did so much! We miss you guys too!

Matt and Carla said...

How neat is that? That is great, our prayers are answered in all sorts of unexpected ways now aren't they?! That will be a good story to remember as the years go by...

Goff Six Adventures said...

Hi Tammy, you've been tagged by me, see our blog for the details & have fun!

Camille said...

Wow, that's great! (I would have ordered the new one too)

Tara said...

What a great story. Can I borrow your dishwashers? :)

Jackie said...

I don't think my kids even know how to wash dishes. Sad but true!

Greg & Jen said...

It's so amazing how heavenly father answers our prayers in even just the smallest ways sometimes. What a great story & memory to share for years to come.