Thursday, July 3, 2008

My favorite time of year

(Hi, this is Steve. You need to know this so you don't get confused by this Post)

I love Christmas, I like springtime, and I like most holidays. I love our anniversary, although that's changed a bit now that Sophie was born on it. But there's still one time of year that belongs to Tammy and me, one part of the year that we both love and remember fondly.

We met in 1994 on June 26th, at a Joseph Smith fireside at BYU. After the fireside, a mutual friend introduced us. That was Sunday night. Wednesday night, we met again at another friend's house, and we set up a date for Thursday morning- a walk along Bridal Veil Falls near Provo, UT. We had a great time, and got together again that night, the next morning, Friday night, Saturday morning, and any time that we could find.

Saturday night (July 2nd) we hiked up to the "Y" near BYU and watched the fireworks together. I was into photography so we used this as an excuse to make the hike:












That was the night I told Tammy that I was falling in love- that was the first time I'd told anyone that.

We went to Church together on Sunday, then spent the day together.

Monday morning we went to the parade in Provo to enjoy Independence Day. Really we just held hands and looked into each other's eyes. We were soooo cheesy, it was great.

That night as we sat watching the fireworks from our friend's house, we talked about getting married and started making plans. A few days later, I officially proposed and we started telling our family. We were married on September 21st.



So every year as we come upon June 26th we both look at each other and ask "What were you doing 14 years ago?" Then we struggle a little to remember the exact dates of each of the events of that week. Luckily, we made a video on July 9 to explain it all. We thought it was all moving very fast, but were both certain it was the right thing and we wanted to document it. So we went to the park, turned on the borrowed video camera, and talked for an hour of our whirlwind romance. The best part is watching us - oozing with sap, unable to keep our hands off of each other (ok, maybe that was just me). But it's so cheesy that we can only stand to watch it every several years. I think we've watched it twice since then. Our kids are under strict orders not to watch it until we're dead. I don't think they'll make it through until they themselves are old and almost dead. Maybe I'll post a few minutes of it for you...


At least we didn't sing for America!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pn-LEft_w

I love you Tammy! And happy July 4th!

8 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks, honey. I love you, too, but don't you dare post the video or we'll no longer have any friends!!!

Shannon said...

Oh you better believe I'm going to get my hands on that sappiness when I'm there next week!

Wow, I sure hope I can find some Provo 4th of July lovin' tomorrow. If you guys can do it, so can I! Thanks for the motivation. :)

Summers Summary said...

Knock yourself out Shannon, if you're brave enough!

Steve added the video after I read the text! I can't believe you posted some of it, Steve! (Well, maybe I can believe it!) At least you spared everyone the sappy details. Gag!!!

I still love you, even after showing everyone the cheesy side of us!

Tara said...

So sweet. I love reading about your crazy whirlwind of love.

That video is SO funny! I love that you made it, you have such a great story, you were smart to document it. And besides, didn't we all start out that sappy? I could tell you the nicknames I used to have for Jon and then I'm sure you wouldn't be quite so embarrassed of your video anymore.

Heather said...

Wow, what a cute, cheesy, 90's couple! Thanks for enlightening us Steve on the early buds of a beautiful relationship!

Nikki said...

I had no idea that it was so fast! Typical of you BYU people, though. :-) I would LOVE to see more of the video cheesiness. Please, put more!

Halls Family said...

I loved the video! You two are so cute! When David and I were engaged I wouldn't let him call me honey or sweetie or any other sappy names because I remembered Kristy gagging at you two. I didn't want her doing the same to me. Hmmm, now I would love to have a little sappiness in my marriage!:) I love looking back on our engagement and early days of marriage it almost seems therapeutic for me...the quiet days before kids. By the way, I'm still sorry you even had to consider changing your wedding date because of my basketball schedule. I use that example a lot in teaching my Laurels life doesn't revolve around them! Love you guys.

Kristy said...

Oh man! That made my whole day! (Sorry I haven't checked your blog in awhile so I'm playing catch up today!) You guys were THE CHEESIEST couple in the universe!!! I can't believe I got through it! What a sweet entry, Steve. We sure miss you guys. I wish we were closer!