Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cedar Badge

Two weeks ago, we sent Steven, who turned 12 in March, on a week and a half adventure to Idaho--ALL BY HIMSELF!!! I must say I'm proud that I put my control-freakishness on hold for 10 days and let my son have FUN! I just let go and didn't worry about him (too much) the whole time he was gone.

Steve's mom offered to take Steven to Cedar Badge at a camp in the Tetons if we could get him to Idaho. Cedar Badge is a leadership camp for Scouts similar to Wood Badge for adults. So, Saturday morning we sent him on an airplane to Boise where he met his Grandpa Trent's niece, Shelley, (whom Steven had never met.) Then he took a ride across Idaho on a shuttle to Idaho Falls--he had to change buses in Pocatello. He had his cell phone with him so we were able to call him once in awhile to check in.
He had a fun time--as far as we can tell anyway--he's becoming a teenager; speaking in one word phrases in responses to our inquiries. (i.e. Mom: What did you do while you were there? Steven: Stuff.) Luckily Steve had been to Cedar Badge when he was a kid, so he knew the right questions to ask. I only wish I'd been there when they were talking so I could have heard all about it.

Steve's mom took pictures of Steven up there. She and Steve's sisters also attended the Cedar Badge graduation ceremony. We only wish we could have been there to see him.

After Cedar Badge, he got to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa Packer and Shari, Jeni, Heather, and their families. He also got to relive old times by playing in Grandma's sandbox. (Grandma, thanks for doing all his laundry while he was there! There wasn't a speck of sand in his suitcase!)
On the way home, he spent a day with my cousin, Stephanie, and her kids. He loves going to their house because he gets to hang out with cousins his own age. (He seems to always be the oldest kid wherever we go!) Thanks, Steph, for picking him up from the shuttle, letting him stay with you and returning him to the airport!

As we sat and watched fireworks on the 4th of July, Steven actually wanted to sit next to me so he could tell me all the things about the flag and patriotism that he'd learned. I'm very impressed with his new-found patriotic attitude! (After awhile, I had to disappoint him by telling him I wanted to sit by Daddy because Independence Day is a "Romantic Holiday" for Daddy and me--see the post below!)

This week I get to "let go" again as he goes off with our own troop's scout camp. Have fun, Steven! When he gets back, I'll let him write all about his exciting adventures.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Ahh...the one word teenage response. I know it all too well. It's a beautiful thing...especially when you're a teacher and are looking for answers to your questions. All you have to do is bribe him with candy to get him to talk. Works like a charm! :)

Jackie said...

What a busy summer for Steven. The camp looks like a lot of fun! i think it's great that you let him go by himself. It makes them feel so grown up!