Thursday, September 27, 2007

My ears are still ringing!

Awesome! Tammy and I went to the Def Leppard/Foreigner/Styx concert last night. WOW! For the last 6 months, everyone we've told about it has laughed at us, I'm not sure why. Maybe we don't strike people as metal-heads. Well, we went and had a great time.

We bought our tickets last spring, for our anniversary last week. We had great seats at the White River Amphitheater just outside of Auburn. Here's the seating map, the yellow circle is where we were sitting:



Of course, I left the camera in the car so the only pictures I got were on my phone. But, just so you know we were really there, here are some of the pictures:


Styx started out and they were my favorite group. Yep, I even bought a T-Shirt to prove it. The crowd was thin at the start, but filled in as the concert went along. I couldn't believe it when the guy next to me asked "Are they the opener?" Yeah, buddy, Styx is just the opener. And Star Wars was just a preview of Star Trek. Geez.



By the time Foreigner started, the stadium was full. They turned the amps up to 11 - that's one louder than 10, if you're not familiar with Spinal Tap. Tammy's favorite song was Urgent- a Sax solo that knocked her shoes off. Literally.






Finally, Def Leppard came out. They proved that this is really their tour. My apologies to the guy next to me. Wow! Foreigner and Styx were loud, but only painfully loud. If the amps were at 11 before, they jumped to 111 for Def Leppard. We had to lean toward the stage to keep from being knocked over by the thump of the bass guitar. I'm guessing this has something to do with the ringing in my ears this morning. Congratulations, Gents, you've proven that Def is all yours.

Any one of these groups was worth the ticket price. All 3 together was, like, 3 times as good. Plus, we go the fun of watching everyone there (Yes, Jackie, we saw you gettin' Def with your friends). Believe it or not, we weren't the oldest ones there- most of their fans were listening to these groups in the late 70's, so many of the concert goers were 5-10 years older than us. Many had been drinking, some had desperate looks in their eyes, a few were smoking some brand of cigarette I hadn't smelled before...

So I'm looking for another concert to go to. I'm not sure what could top this one, but it would be fun to get a group of friends together for the next big concert.
-- Steve

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Def Leopard was awesome! I felt like I was in high school again. I'm glad that you guys had fun. I hope I didn't look like a total idiot dancing around but it was just sooo fun. Next time another great rockin' concert comes we'll have to go.

Shannon said...

I didn't know that you went to that concert! I wanted to go when they came here a couple weeks ago!