Sunday, September 9, 2007

Back in the Swing of Things

We're officially back to "real" life again. The kids all started school Wednesday, and what an exciting (and long) day it was! First, at 7:00 a.m. we sent Steven off to middle school. For those of you who know me well, know that I am NOT a morning person. So this will be a new experience for me! It will only get worse soon, as Steven starts Jazz Band before school, and since the bus doesn't pick him up, I get to drive him a couple of days a week. Oh mannn!

Next, we sent Ben off to his new school, where he will participate in STEP (Student Teacher Enrichment Program). STEP is designed to challenge kids who might drive their teachers crazy in a normal classroom setting. They go at a little faster pace and have more interactive projects and assignments. The school is near downtown Auburn. It's kind of rundown, but they have excellent teachers and, more importantly to Ben, a fun playground. Luckily, the bus comes to pick him up near Rachel's bus stop, only a few minutes before her's comes, so I only have to make one treck to the bus stop in the morning.
At 9:00, we went to a teacher conference for Rachel's class. We met her new teacher. She seems so nice, and Rachel is just thrilled to be back in school. She was sad that her best friend, Kylie, isn't in her class this year, but she has another friend, Payton, in the class, so she's happy. Rachel didn't actually attend class until Thursday, so she had one more day to stay home and play with Sophia and Leia (our new puppy.)
Everyone came home from school and reported that everything at school was just fine. Steven said middle school is a lot like elementary school, except there are a lot more rules. He had been nervous about the whole locker combination thing and finding his various classrooms, but he did just fine. He's bummed that none of his friends are in his core classes. He does have a couple of friends in Wood Shop and Band, though. The boys brought a whole recycling bin full of papers home with them, and I spent the next 2 hours filling out forms.

As I was filling out the forms, I noticed Leia (the puppy) on the porch with something bright orange (and pretty big) hanging out of her mouth. I quickly went over to her and instructed her to "drop it." Of course she didn't! She swallowed it! She kind of gagged as it went down, and I opened her mouth to see if I could see it anymore. Nope! Gone! I figure it was one of three things--a nerf dart from the boys' gun, a broken piece of plastic shovel that was recently chopped up by a lawn mower, or (hopefully) a Rhodedendron leaf. (Although Rodies are poisonous to dogs.)

I wasn't too worried at first because she ate a bunch of her dinner later, so I thought, "She's fine!" After I got the kids in bed and Steve was out taking care of bishopric business, Leia started writhing around on the floor in pain. She started gagging. I picked her up and ran outside. As soon as I got to the porch, she threw up.

Now for those who know me, I have a HUGE aversion to anything to do with throwing up. I try to keep my kids away from other sick kids, I have them wash their hands a lot during flu season, etc. just so they don't get sick. Steve is such a wonderful husband that when the kids do get sick, he cleans everything up. For some reason, doggy vomit is not as vile as kids' vomit. I didn't freak out too badly--except that I was really worried now about what the dog had swallowed.

I called Steve, and as he came home, I called the after-hours vet, and they said to rush her in. I just knew she was dying, so I went upstairs to the boys' room and told them to give her a hug before Dad got home. There was weeping and wailing and lots of prayers said for our sick, sick doggy. I was really afraid we'd never see our new puppy again and I wanted our boys to be able to say "good-bye." Steve, the eternal optimist, gave me an "Oh brother!" look when he came home and said everything would be fine and told the boys not to worry.


Leia threw up in her kennel on the way as Steve took her to the vet. Steve left the dog at the animal hospital and came home. I asked him how much it was going to cost. He said, "Around $300." We've never even spent that much on all of our kids combined for visits to the emergency room! The vet took x-rays and said he couldn't see anything solid, but that things like Nerf toys and plastic don't usually show up on x-rays. Well, duh! Then why did he take the x-rays?!? So he induced vomiting and the only thing that came up other than dinner, was a bunch of strings from, ironically, a toy the vet had given us last week! I went back at midnight to pick up Leia and brought her home.

The next day she was a little lethargic (and boy was I, too.) We watched her closely and the kids said lots of prayers and asked about "doggy heaven." I told them she'd be fine. It's funny! Now we don't have as much of a problem getting the kids to go out and play with her now. I think they have a new-found appreciation for her.

Rachel had fun her first full day of school. She came home super tired, but really happy. She said first grade "wasn't as hard as I thought it would be!" Just wait! Sophia just crawled around the house all day saying, "Da-dull" (Rachel) and looking for stuff to do. She REALLY misses the kids! And so do I, but it sure is quiet now. :)

3 comments:

Camille said...

What a funny story about the puppy. I'm glad she is okay and the kids have a new found appreciation for her.

I'm glad to hear all your kids are enjoying school. It's such an exciting time of year!

Stephanie said...

3 kids in 3 different schools you are one busy Mom! I am glad to hear your dog is alright. Looks like Sophia and Leia will spend a lot of time together.

Jackie said...

I agree with Stephanie. 3 kids in 3 schools-wow. I can't imagine all the paperwork and back to school nights and Parent Teacher Conferences.

Glad to hear that Leia is okay. That will be a funny story a few years from now.

You'll have to let me know how middle school is going for Steven.