Sunday, September 30, 2007

Happy 1st Birthday, Sophia!

Our baby turned 1 on September 21st (which also, by the way, was our 13th anniversary.)

My sister, Cherilyn, and her son, Ryan, were here visiting from Pinetop, AZ. (We took this picture of them when we went to the Pacific Science Center on Saturday. We had so much fun while they were here. Thanks for coming, guys!)We had a little birthday party, complete with pizza, cake, and ice cream. Our neighbors, Barbara, Christine, and Elizabeth Davis came. Chad Carman and his kids came, too--Barb was out of town, so we figured we could be their entertainment for the weekend!
Traditionally, I've made all of the kids' birthday cakes from scratch and have decorated them myself, but I cheated this year and bought the cake from Costco. I'd made the cake and when I went to decorate it, I found out it didn't quite get baked enough. The frosting, I'm sure, was lots nummier for Sophie. We had so much fun watching her eat the cake. She had never eaten sugar before, and she's decided she loves it! She coated her fingers with frosting and just sucked on them for a long time. I thought she'd get tired of it, but she ate almost the entire piece!

She loved opening her presents, but with all of the "help" she was getting from all the kids, she was a little overwhelmed. (That's why she's not smiling in these next pictures.) Her favorite present was a Fisher Price train from Daddy.
She's been showing off all week to everyone that she can walk as she follows the moving train around the room. She also likes the rooster flashlight that cock-a-doodle-doo's when it's turned on that the Carman's gave her. I've noticed a theme with almost every gift she received--they ALL make noise! She loves them!
I really can't believe how quickly the last year has passed. Today, I spent an extra few minutes talking to Sophie today, singing to her, and holding her as I captured pictures of her in my mind as my "baby." Before I know it, she will be a big girl!
I took this picture of her last week playing in Daddy's office--she'll always be spoiled--that's for sure!

5 comments:

Jared McInelly said...

I think she is one of the cutest girls without the last name of McInelly that I have ever seen. Great pictures of the cake fest. There's some funny looking guy in the photos, oh wait, thats Steve.

Jackie said...

She is adorable! It looks like she really loved that cake. First birthday's always make me sad because it seems like they go from baby to toddler over night.

Tara said...

Wow! She's one already! And walking! She really is a beautiful little girl. Happy Birthday, Sophia!

Stephanie said...

Happy birthday Sophia! What a fast year that was. Seems like yesterdady we were at your shower.

Camille said...

Sophia looks like a little porcelain doll. Her facial expressions are always so sweet and innocent and she just looks so perfect. I think that's one bonus about not having much hair, there's none to mess up right?