Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sophie-isms

Sophie picking raspberries. . .
Sophie stuffing the raspberries in her mouth!

Sophie, who will turn 2 next month, speaks her own little language. Most of the time, she speaks clearly and we know what she is saying, but other times, it's a foreign language. I know it's only a matter of time before she totally grows up and starts using "our" words, and it makes me sad because I love talking with my little girl in "her" language.

It all started when she'd say, "Ahcup-ahcup-ahcup-ahcup" when she was just over a year old. That meant she wanted her sippy cup. That was easy enough to understand, but then she started to get creative:

Today, Sophie asked for "deekle." I reached into the fridge and pulled out a piece of cheese and as Sophie happily ate it, Rachel asked, "Mom, how did you know she wanted cheese?" I replied, "Because she asked for it." Rachel asked, "How did you know what she wanted?" My reply, "She said, "Deekle."

Whenever she wants something, she'll say the noun, followed by "me." (i.e. "Deekle me" sounds kind of like "tickle me," but it really means she wants some cheese.)

Here are some other Sophie-isms:
"Peenee"--Trampoline

"Walla walla walla"--Water

"Kind"--Cereal (She got this from when we ask her "Do you want this kind or this kind?")

"Denna"--Banana

"Bachel"--Rachel

"Dipsy"--Juice (I don't think she got it from Teletubbies, but who knows!)

Her latest thing to do is to walk around the house singing, "La, la, la" then she clucks her tongue. And she does it over again. It's so cute. I always try to get her to say her little sayings on camera, but so far, I haven't been successful. I'll post them if I ever do!
We love our Sophie!!!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

I MISS HER!!! I loved when she would walk around clicking her tongue while I was there. I saw some pretzels the other day and though of her saying, "Petzel me!" :) She is so cute!

Kristy said...

So funny! I love those pictures of Sophie! Man, I want to see you guys! It's amazing how talented moms can be when it comes to translating! Way to go!

Cristi said...

That is so cute! Zack is just starting to learn to talk but people only understand him if he has his mom or dad there to translate! :)

Anonymous said...

Gobby and Dido..then..DAMMIT

For those of you unfamiliar..these are TAMMYISMS words she used.

Gobby..what's this?

Dido..that thing (whatever)

Dammit..hmmmm can't remember..but she said it with a smile..and no malice whatsoever.

Remember family..Sophie's name for me for just a couple of weeks was
grampagump

Dad

Anonymous said...

Tammy, I am Steve's friend from HS and I loved your blog---I was laughing at the cheesy "we are now in love" video--what a treasure! Anyway, I was just wanting to reconnect with Steve and this was fun! thank you for sharing your lives! Tell steve to check out my family blog at goofygoddards.blogspot.com

jackie goddard

Jared McInelly said...

Wow, those pictures are cool! Looks like a slice of the garden of Eden. Nice work on the yard. Gotta love raspberries!

Greg & Jen said...

I can't believe how fast they grow! She is so adorable... I love all of her sophie-isms. That is just too cute!

Camille said...

She is a doll. Emma has been talking about her ever since you watched her. We need to have Sophie over.